IBC GENERAL MEANS OF EGRESS Specifications
Statutes Applicability must be applied
The general requirements specified in Sections through these chapter shall apply to all three elements of the means of egress system, in addition to those specific requirements for the exit access, the exit and the exit discharge detailed elsewhere in this chapter.
The means of egress shall have a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet 6 inches (2286 mm).
1. Sloped ceilings in accordance with Section ?
2. Ceilings of dwelling units and sleeping units within residential occupancy in accordance with Section
3. Allowable projections in accordance with Section
4. Stair headroom in accordance with Section
5. Door height in accordance with Section
6. Ramp headroom in accordance with Section
7. The clear height of floor levels in vehicular and pedestrian traffic areas in parking garages in accordance with Section
the top and bottom riser of stairs and above the ramp run.
Structural elements, fixtures or furnishings shall not project horizontally from either side more than 4 inches (102 mm) over any walking surface between the heights of 27 inches (686 mm) and 80 inches (2032 mm) above the walking surface.
Exception: Handrails are permitted to protrude 41/2 inches (114 mm) from the wall.
Protruding objects shall not reduce the minimum clear width of accessible routes.
This is just to give you an idea about why and how things get done in this field it is a lengthy process that most home owners will probably would not have the patience to understand ,but safety is first for that reason it must be done right the first time.